Far Infrared Saunas are unique because they utilize radiant energy to directly penetrate the body’s tissues rather than heat the surface of the skin. It is estimated that we can absorb close to 93% of the infrared energy output through our skin. Only about 20% of far infrared energy heats the surrounding air, so that means about 80% is converted to heat at approximately 1 1/2″ to 2″ below the skin’s surface. A Far Infrared Sauna warms the tissue to a much greater depth and much more effectively than a conventional wet, dry or steam sauna. Treatment in a Far Infrared Sauna produces up to 2-3 times the sweat volume than that of a conventional sauna and the air temperature range inside the sauna is about 70 degrees cooler than the air temperature range inside a conventional sauna! The cooler air temperature and non-heaviness of the air in the Far Infrared Sauna (as experienced with steam or wet saunas), is beneficial for those clients who may have cardiovascular risk factors, asthma or claustrophobia that might be contraindicated for traditional saunas.
More of the American population is more sedentary now than they were 20 years ago. In a recent study published by the American Journal of Medicine, researchers analyzed data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), collected over a period of 20 years. The number of women leading sedentary lifestyles increased from 19.1 percent in 1994 to 51.7 percent in 2010. For men this number increased from 11.4 percent in 1994 to 43.5 percent in 2010. Because we don’t move as much as we used to, we don’t sweat enough. Sweating is necessary for the body to maintain homeostasis. Homeostatis is the “ability or tendency to maintain internal stability in an organism to compensate for environmental changes”. The body’s ability to maintain an internal temperature of 98.6 degrees F is an example of homeostasis. When the external air temperature causes the body’s internal temperature to rise, and the response is sweating through pores in the skin. Sweat cools the surface of the skin to regulate the body’s internal temperature. When we don’t sweat through activity and even go to lengths to keep from sweating; such as the use of antiperspirants and air conditioning, we short circuit our ability to maintain homeostasis and the skin’s excretory process to rid the body of waste and keep the skin clean and pliant.
Good News! Use of the Far Infrared Sauna on a regular basis quickly reverses the affects of decreased sweating and the many healthy benefits of sweating are quickly restored!
Some Benefits of regular Far Infrared Sauna Therapy:
- Asthma relief
- Improved cardiac function for Congestive Heart Failure patients
- Improved systolic blood pressure
- Detoxification- Pesticide & Insecticide Residues, Prescription & Recreational Drugs, Petrochemicals: Xenobiotics & Xenoestrogens, Heavy Metals (Iron, Copper, Mercury, Lead, Aluminum, Cadmium), Nitrites, Chlorinated Water, etc.
- Fibromyalgia relief
- Improved Skin Conditions- Acne, Eczema & Psoriasis relief, Dandruff, Cellulite reduction
- Musculoskeletal Improvements- Arthritis, Bursitis, Low Back Pain, Whiplash & Sprains / Strains due to MVA, Sciatica
- May help with Cancer Pain
- Weight Loss
Before you visit the Sauna:
- Drink, at the very minimum, (1) one 8 oz. glass of WATER or Coconut Water immediately prior to getting into the sauna. Food and liquids are not allowed inside the sauna.
- No caffeine beverages at least 4 hours prior to visit
- No alcoholic beverage consumption for a minimum of 2 days prior
- It is good to start with 15 minute sessions and work up to 30 minute sessions. Because liquids are not allowed inside the sauna, (but are available inside the room), the maximum session length is 30 minutes.
During and After your Far Infrared Sauna Session:
If you start feeling faint, claustrophobic, or uncomfortable- open the sauna door and turn it off
If you feel you are having a medical emergency, press the Emergency button inside the sauna and staff will enter the room to assist you and call 911 if necessary
A warm, moist towel is provided for your use after the sauna session is over. Please use it to wipe off the toxins from your body and prior to moving to your treatment room (if scheduled) for your next scheduled therapy.
Remember to shower as soon as you can following your session to clear your skin of the mobilized toxins that have been excreted through sweat.
Immediately following your session, eat something with dense nutrient content- berries, nuts, eggs, mixed dried fruit, fruit, cheese, whole grain crackers with nut butter to prevent a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) event (= fainting / passing out = we don’t want that). We provide small packages of healthy snacks for purchase if you forget to pack a snack.
Contraindications (Do Not Use the Sauna) for Far Infrared Sauna Therapy:
- Brain tumors
- Children under age 12. Older children should always be supervised.
- Stroke (type caused by bleeding into the brain)
- Severe aortic stenosis
- Recent myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Unstable angina pectoris
- Lupus erythematosus, if you are on steroids (interferes with blood circulation)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Silicone implants
- Insensitivity to heat
- Acute joint injury (first 48-72 hours after the initial injury)
- Diabetes with Neuropathy
Check with your doctor in the case of:
- Pins, rods and other implants, such as cochlear implants (but for sure don’t use the sauna if it causes you pain or other discomfort at the site of your implant)
- Diabetes without Neuropathy (for sure start slowly and monitor your blood sugar)
- Certain medications- Diuretics, barbiturates and beta-blockers may impair the body’s natural heat loss mechanisms
** Always check with your doctor prior to beginning Infrared Sauna Therapy for your specific medical condition(s).**
*Conditions for Promotion:
- Services that qualify for the promotional add-on sauna session: Any Massage, Reiki or Aromatherapy session at regular rate and scheduled for the same day, directly after promotional add-on sauna session
- Must be first visit for the sauna
- New clients must establish with service(s) other than the sauna prior to being eligible to use the sauna. (For the protection of our valued clients, we do not allow walk-ins or unestablished guests to use the sauna)
- Fill out Sauna Agreement form including verification of health eligibility to enter the sauna (See Contraindications above)
- Click on the link above to sign in to Schedulicity and set up your regular rate service and free add-on sauna session or just call 206-824-1441 and we will set you up!
We look forward to sharing this amazing holistic healing therapy with you! Thank you!